From the Dairy Barn of Iowa to the Skies: In a country whose proud heritage...

Thursday, April 22, 2010

In a country whose proud heritage...


is that much of the country is below sea level and was claimed from the sea. The Netherlands is a small country in western Europe that lies next to the North Sea. Our life's history began here and was brought to America by our father, Gerrit de Boer in the year 1947.

Taken in 1908 - one of these 17 children is our grandfather, Brant S. de Boer

Our grandfather at the age 25

Our grandmother - Jetske van der Horst de Boer

Brant S. de Boer and Jetske van der Horst married in 1913 and brought to this union were 4 children and the third being our father, Gerrit - pictured above at the age of 3 - 1923

Our father was named after his maternal grandfather, Gerrit van der Horst, pictured above.

Picture of my father and siblings, taken in 1933.
Sipke, Gerrit, Neeltje, Ruttje

Picture of my father's family in 1947, de Boer.
Back Row: Gerrit, Neeltje
Front Row: Grandfather Brant, Ruttje, Grandmother Jetske, Sipke

Our grandparents Golden Anniversary in 1963.

I am as proud of my Dutch heritage as I am to be an American. I am thankful for my family abroad and at home - I am truly blessed to have them all.


2 comments:

  1. nice post..did you know that you can have your blog made into a book...nice way to keep you memories all together...

    ReplyDelete