From the Dairy Barn of Iowa to the Skies: Fifteen Years Ago...

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fifteen Years Ago...


my son Austin and I flew to Holland the same day that my Dad and Mom flew to Germany to be picked up by Uncle Folkert and Aunt Neeltje. We spent almost 2 weeks with my Dad's family. My Dad has been back to Holland - since arriving in American in 1947 - only 5 times, 1956, 1963, 1969, 1973, and 1995 - this time it will be my family going back to Holland to visit my Dad's family.

On April 12, 2010 @ 320pm in Minneapolis, Austin, Colin, Sydney Beth, and I will board Delta Air Lines flight 258 for Amsterdam, NL, a 8 hour and 15 minute flight over the North Atlantic, the very ocean that my Dad sailed over in 1947.

Every year it enters into my mind to go back and visit my Uncle Sipke for his birthday - but every year another year slips by - as if time is standing still and I will have another chance, I am not sure that is the truth - my uncle is going to be 94 on April 15.

As I was contemplating on writing this, a few tears flowed - I really want my Dad to go with - I can't imagine getting on a ship, sailing to a new land, a new opportunity, a new life and hearing the words of my grandfather saying to my Dad "You can always come home, if you don't like it."

This is an opportunity for my children to see where their grandfather grew up and to see his family, my family, our family...




3 comments:

  1. I really like this and am glad that you can go see them...greet them all for me and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is great
    YoU are very fortunate to be able to do this. I am afraid to venture out like this. I would love to see all the pix and hear anything that you can share of dad's family and his land.
    Janna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always has been a dream of mine to go there but .... greet all for us and special hugs to each!

    ReplyDelete